From the Recipe Box of: friend laurel
- two bunches of lacinato kale
- 1/2 c. of tahini (peanut butter can be substituted)
- 4-6 garlic gloves
- 4 lemons
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- Destem and derib the kale.
- Rip the kale leaves into bite size pieces. Do not cut.
- Put all the torn pieces into a large bowl with room to toss.
- Pour olive oil over the kale - a good amount, hard to say how much.
- Sprinkle a tablespoon (?) of kosher salt over the oiled kale.
- Massage the kale, oil and salt for 5-10 minutes, until the kale is dark green, somewhat wilted looking, and your hands have a faint green tint.
- Measure out tahini into a liquid measuring glass.
- Juice 2-3 lemons, removing seeds. Add juice to the measuring glass.
- Using a garlic press, squeeze as many garlic cloves as you want into the measuring glass.
- Use a fork to thoroughly mix the three ingredients. The mixture will become thick, and if it needs thinning, add more lemon juice, or water.
- Pour the dressing over the kale and toss.
- Serve within a few hours.
- Prepare to accept praise.
This recipe is from a dear friend's sister. They visited years ago for a wedding and my friend's sister slept almost the entire visit. When she was awake, she shared this recipe with us, which had been passed down to her from her "hippie days" of living in an abandoned silo. I love my friend, her sister, and the joy that this salad brings almost everyone who tries it. This salad is to me the physical manifestation of over twenty years of friendship.